Re: branch-2-0 vs CVS HEAD

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: branch-2-0 vs CVS HEAD
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:03:20 +0100

Albert Chin wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 08:11:48AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Albert Chin wrote on Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 04:41:58AM CEST:

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 07:54:59PM +0100, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Ralf Wildenhues wrote on libtool-patches:

I kept quiet a while ago when Bob first suggested ditching the CVS
branch-2-0 and releasing CVS HEAD as 2.0 after a bit of stabilization.

The showstopper for this plan is that libtool is holding up the next
release of all the other autotools[1], so we can't release HEAD as is without causing headaches for everyone else, because it relies on unreleased versions of the tools that are waiting for another libtool release.

libtool-2.0 should not rely on newer autoconf/automake. People simply
won't adopt it. RHEL 4 ships with autoconf-2.59 and automake-1.9.2.
I'm not against requiring the latest, as of now, autoconf/automake,
but relying on autoconf-2.60 and automake-1.10 seems way too
aggressive.

So my point is: get HEAD stable now, then branch off and make 2.59/1.9.6
compatible there.  Then bootstrap the release with the couple of naughty
system-dependent fixes we know of in those autotools versions.

Seems fine to me.

I'm still uncomfortable with this, because we have been commiting patches to HEAD that were deemed too destabilizing for branch-2-0,
and I (for one) don't remember what they were...

We have things backwards right now.  We should be working on getting
branch-2-0 stable right now, and forward porting any patches generated
in so doing to HEAD.  The only reason things have tilted the other
way recently is that we have both been working on big patches that
were easier to verify by adding tests to the new testsuite. *Conceptually*, even these big patches are for branch-2-0, we just
happened to develop them in the nicer non-frozen HEAD environment.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}