how to link with installed libltdl?

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Subject: how to link with installed libltdl?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:07:10 +0200

Hi,

for opensc and related projects we came to the conclusion
it is best to require the user to install libltdl.so and
header files, and then link to that library.

Is there a recommended way to implement this in autoconf?
In the documentation it looks like all scenarios copy
libltdl into the source, but we don't want to do that.

libltdl (debian sarge version) doesn't include a pkg-config
file :( does anyone have sample m4 code to provide a macro
for detecting and linking with an installed libltdl? or
can I used any of the macros in ltdl.m4?

Also we discussed as alternative to include libltd.c code
directly in our libraries. but in that case we would need
to add a prefix to all symbols to make sure some user of
our library can still use libltdl without linking problems.
We discarded that idea, as prefix'ing doesn't seem to be
supported out of the box, and we don't want to maintain
a private copy.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Andreas