Re: branch-2-0 vs CVS HEAD

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: branch-2-0 vs CVS HEAD
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:35:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Regardless, LTDL_INIT is not documented at the moment, and I'm not
sure we want to explicitly support use of libltdl except as a
subpackage.   Although it has been possible to do so for quite some
time (if only because  libtool itself has done so on and off over the
last few years), we have never really *designed* an interface for it.
Post-2.0, we can always firm up a long term interface, document it and
*then* make a commitment to support that interface in the future.

I don't understand this paragraph at all.  From what I could gather,
this was one of *the* new features to be advertised for the next stable
version.  When Bob reported several times that it was nonfunctional,
never was there a reply of yours stating this wasn't intended feature.

Yes, it was intended to be one of the main new features of libtool 2.0. If it is not documented now, then someone has deleted some documentation since there was certainly some (poor) documentation added to describe it after Gary did the work in February 2003 and announced it to the world. Unfortunately, the work was not yet to a finished/tested state.

The plan is that packages using libltdl 2.0 can configure libltdl using their own configure script. This reduces configure run time by about a factor of two and also reduces the amount of configure script code by a factor of two. Reducing configuration time by a factor of two is a huge win.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn