Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:42:08 -0500

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 03:34:17AM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >Should we discuss this and decide about what's best?  Maybe we'd need
> >another switch to link statically against all non-system libs (in the
> >sense that libc is one, but libdb is not)?  Or would implementing per-
> >deplib static/shared switches be the only solution?
>
> That may work best, though it sounds tedious. A lot of linkers allow
> -static/-dynamic to be specified multiple times on a command line,
> toggling the choice until the next switch occurs in the options.

Yeah, I think this is really the only sane way. Multiple static flags
is too hard. Unfortunately, -static and -all-static are taken. From
ld(1) on Redhat:
  -Bstatic
  -dn
  -non_shared
  -static
      Do  not  link against shared libraries.  This is only meaningful on
      platforms for which shared libraries are supported.  The different
      variants of this option are for compatibility with various systems.
      You may use this option multiple times  on  the  command line:  it
      affects library searching for -l options which follow it.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)