AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL fixed (was: Speeding up libtool)

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL fixed (was: Speeding up libtool)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:02:25 +0200

Hi Robert,

This is a really old bug report, you can read it here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-03/msg00158.html

* Robert Ă–gren wrote on Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:12:33AM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > libtool HEAD should tell you upon invocation of `autoconf -Wall' to
> > remove AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL in favor of adding the win32-dll option to
> > LT_INIT.  After doing that, things should work.  (But leaving things
> > like they are should also work.)
>
> Unfortunately AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL didn't work for me with Libtool HEAD.
> I created the following ugly test case:
*snip*
> The win32-dll stuff is missing. If I replace AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL and
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL with LT_INIT([win32-dll]), it works as expected:
*snip*

> My M4-fu is weak, but to me it seems suspicious that _LT_SET_OPTIONS
> only dispatches to the handler macros for the options that are passed in
> as a parameter to _LT_SET_OPTIONS since AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL just sets
> the option without dispatching. With the following change to
> ltoptions.m4 my testcase works (produces the desired stuff in configure):

Thank you so much for reporting it back then, and trying to fix it.
Your suggestions got us on the right track.  With the patch I just
applied to Libtool CVS HEAD and another small one that is still pending,
this issue should be fixed for good.  :)