Re: how to implement a spy?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to implement a spy?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:35:30 +0200

Hi Andreas,

* Andreas Jellinghaus wrote on Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:44:24PM CEST:

> I moved several projects from our own generic ld() stuf
> to libtool, but one project has a problem: pkcs11-spy.
> this project is a shared object / plugin, that itself
> also loads a shared object / plugin. the idea is that
> it sits between the application (e.g. mozilla) and the
> real plugin (e.g. opensc-pkcs11.so) and protocols each
> call and return. extremely helpful for debugging.

Indeed, this sounds very useful.

> but now  it seems this doesn't work well with ltdl().
> could it be that our spy could finds its own functions
> and symbold instead of those in the plugin it loads?
> both is pkcs#11 api - i.e. both the pkcs11-spy.so
> and the plugin it loads have the same symbols in them.

Hmm.  Are you trying to load both pkcs11-spy.so with lt_dlopen and
also from within that the other plugins with lt_dlopen?

If so: you are using CVS HEAD Libtool, right?
(1.5.x versions do not really support dlopening from within libraries).

> can I somehow tell lt_* functions to give me the code
> in the module I'm loading, and _not_ from symbols
> within itself? Or if my idea what might be wrong isn't
> right, any idea else where the problem could be
> or how I can debug it?

Well, to put it in a pessimistic way: since we don't have a test for
this kind of setup (where the same symbols are loaded), I suppose that
it probably does not work.

To put it in an optimistic way: your application would be a wonderful
test case to debug libltdl in this respect, and make this work.  :)

> I'm using plain lt_dlinit, lt_dlopen, lt_dlsym, lt_dlclose.
> using the with dl() functions instead it works fine.
> but since the software needs to work on win32 (native),
> mac os X, solaris and linux at least I'd be happier with
> using ltdl, if possible.

Well, there are several issues to think about: First, I would not even
know without searching some docs whether this can be made to work on all
kinds of systems; static-only wouldn't, but you knew that :)
But also on AIX, or OS X or win32, for that matter, I would assume that
we may need adaptations.

Is your code open, can we inspect it?  Even better, do you have small
test cases to show what needs to be achieved?