Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries
Date: 08 Sep 2005 17:21:18 -0300

On Aug 29, 2005, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Howard, Alexandre, others,
> * Howard Chu wrote on Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 10:19:03PM CEST:

>> By default we link with -static so
>> that our local libtool-generated libraries get statically linked. But we
>> don't use -all-static; we don't want to alter the default linking for
>> system-installed libraries.

> OK.

AFAIK, -static and -all-static are not supposed to distinguish
installed from non-installed libraries.  -all-static means, do not,
ever, link in a shared library.  -static means just prefer static
libraries, but if one library is not available in static form, go
ahead with the dynamic version instead.  And this is exactly the
behavior you're getting.

If you want to link with static versions of uninstalled libraries,
that's relatively easy to accomplish: create a static-only version of
such libraries, with different names, perhaps even as convenience
archives, and link with them.  Then you won't have to use -static for
linking, and this will take care of getting the shared version of
libdb linked in.

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   address@hidden, gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  address@hidden, gnu.org}