Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:01:27 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Well, that behavior would be fine to me (and it would mean no changes to
the code, which is good!), but would not match our current
documentation:
| @item -static
| If @var{output-file} is a program, then do not link it against any
| uninstalled shared libtool libraries.  If @var{output-file} is a
| library, then only create a static library.

AFAICS this has always been part of the documentation.

Indeed. And in libtool 1.4 (at least versions 1.4.2 and 1.4.3) the behavior matched the documentation.

If you want to link with static versions of uninstalled libraries,
that's relatively easy to accomplish: create a static-only version of
such libraries, with different names, perhaps even as convenience
archives, and link with them.  Then you won't have to use -static for
linking, and this will take care of getting the shared version of
libdb linked in.

Tell me there's a libtool switch that does this for me and I may be OK with it. But right now we create a library with
        libtool --mode=link -o libfoo.la $(OBJS)
and libtool decides what to name the shared and static libraries that it creates. If there is no libtool switch to provide the behavior you suggest then I think your suggestion is unreasonable.

OK.  I would not mind either way, nor a third switch that actually did
what the cited docs promises, (nor somebody implementing per-lib
-Bstatic/-Bdynamic for me :).  Since this workaround sounds quite
feasible, can we agree on fixing the documentation?

Considering that 1.4 behavior and doc agreed, I can only view this as a regression since 1.5.

--
  -- Howard Chu