Re: use of modules, static vs shared, and dependencies

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: use of modules, static vs shared, and dependencies
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:36:55 +0100

Hi Howard,

Hope you don't mind my chiming in here... mostly for the benefit
of the archives, and lurkers:

Howard Chu wrote:
why should we go through the module-handling work for something that is statically linked into the main executable...

You only have to write the module calling code once in the parent
project.  It accesses all the modules through the lt_dlopen APIs,
and doesn't care whether the person who built the project wanted to
have dso modules or preload all the modules into the same address
space (or some of each).

Cheers,
        Gary.
--