Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD

From: Brad
Subject: Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:20:38 -0400

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 05:05:53PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Peter O'Gorman wrote on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:31:58AM CEST:
> > Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > |
> > | Probably libtool needs to be adjusted (on OpenBSD,
> > | output_verbose_link_cmd is set to `echo' in the C++ case).
> > |
> > | Brad, you changed this with this patch:
> > | http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2004-07/msg00000.html
> > | and presumably for good reason.  However, I could not find the
> > | corresponding discussion by searching of web archives.  Unfortunately, I
> > | don't have access to OpenBSD, either, at the moment, to test myself.
>
> > IIRC, archive_cmds on openbsd does not use -nostdlib, so having empty
> > postdeps ought to be okay.
>
> Good point.
>
> > Olly may have found that it is not okay though :(
>
> Olly, can you show us the libtool link line that fails, plus the output
> it generates (you can probably cut off after the first ten or so
> errors to keep size down).
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

Unfortunately I don't remember the details at the moment but I know that we ran
into a number of linking issues with C++ based programs if
output_verbose_link_cmd
was left as is. Issues that our linker seemed to deal with just fine without
libtool
trying to explicitly doing something. I'll see if I can dig up any clues.