Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:00:30 +0100

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:45:40PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Thorsten Glaser wrote on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:05:53PM CEST:
> > Olly Betts dixit:
> > >It looks like the problem is that "g++ -shared" doesn't link to libstdc++.
> >
> > gcc -shared creates a shared library.
> >
> > On OpenBSD, shared libraries do not link against other shared libraries.
> > The main programme must link against all these.

Does that apply when using dlopen?

When python dlopens _xapian.so, something automatically knows to
load libxapian.so.8.0 too - so there's definitely a working shared
library dependency mechanism in this case.

The bottom line for me is that if I explicitly add "-lstdc++" when
linking _xapian.so, it all works.  If I don't, it doesn't.  So I
kind of feel that ideally libtool should be doing that for me...

> OK, but this is exactly one thing libtool was designed to do for you:
> keep track of the libraries you also have to link against; it should
> have added -lstdc++ to _xapian.la's dependency_libs.

It definitely isn't doing that.  This is what I have in _xapian.la:

dependency_libs=' /home/olly/install/lib/libxapian.la'

But unless python uses ltdl that wouldn't help me here anyway.

Cheers,
    Olly