problem linking with shared library

From: Nitesh Soni (NC/TNT)
Subject: problem linking with shared library
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:22:42 -0500

Hello all,

I am trying to build an executable "X" which links with libY.

I am using libtool to build this library libY; so I have a static version libY.a and libY.so

When I link the static version libY.a, i am able to build the application X
But when I link against the shared version libY.so I am not able to build the
application; it fails with some undefined reference to (lets say) Z

Now I did "nm libY.a" and "nm libY.so"

Both these versions have symbol Z as "U"

Then why am I able to build the application X with the static version but not with shared one?
Do I need to pass some "specific" flag while linking against shared library.

Thanks in advance

Nitesh