Linking problem

From: Nitesh Soni (NC/TNT)
Subject: Linking problem
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:53:32 -0500

Hello guys,

I am using libtool to build static and shared libraries. Now, I have run into the following problem.

Lets say I am building a library "libX.la". This library is a collection of other libraries and NO source files.
Eg.

In my Makefile.am I have something like:

libX_la_SOURCES =

libX_la_LIBADD = libY.la
libX_la_LIBADD += libZ.la

Now, when I build this library using libtool, I get the following output:

libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -o libX.la libY.la libZ.la

gcc -shared -o.libs/libX.so .libs/libY.so .libs/libZ.so

ar cru .libs/libX.a
ranlib .libs/libX.a

As you can see, its building the shared library but not the static archive.

Is there sthg I am missing?
Thanks

Nitesh