Re: Libtool(?) frustrations

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Libtool(?) frustrations
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:43:00 +0100

Sorry for the self-reply.

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:22:55PM CET:
> * David N. Welton wrote on Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 01:34:54PM CET:
> >
> > In particular, this one seems to be something directly related to libtool:
> >
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tcl-rivet-dev/200511.mbox/browser
>
> This URL only gives me an overview of the mailing list, not a particular
> mail.  Could you post a link from a "Message View"?  Thanks.

That would be
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tcl-rivet-dev/200511.mbox/address@hidden

> > test -z "/usr/lib /usr/share/rivet0.7.0" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/lib
> > /usr/share/rivet0.7.0"
> >  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  'librivet.la'
> > '/usr/lib /usr/share/rivet0.7.0/librivet.la'
>
> Asking here is fine, although I believe the underlying issue is
> related to Automake.

Nope.  Nevermind my previous wrong conclusions.

You have @TCL_PACKAGE_PATH@, which expands to more than one directory
name in this case:
  /usr/lib /usr/share/rivet0.7.0
That would be a bug in whatever sets this variable (iff the expansion is
supposed to be just one directory) or a bug in your Makefile.am:

| lib_libexecdir = @TCL_PACKAGE_PATH@/address@hidden@
| lib_libexec_LTLIBRARIES = librivet.la librivetparser.la

lib_libexecdir is supposed to point to _one_ directory only, but
contains more than one name, after expansion.

So, no bug in autotools, but I can't tell you who is at fault.  ;-)