unable to infer tagged configuration

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: unable to infer tagged configuration
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:47:20 -0800

I get these errors
libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'

after this line in the makefile output:
./libtool --mode=link g++-3.3 -o test1 -g AbstractTimeStepsGenerator.o
# files omitted
 Specification_samples.o Model_helpers.o Rstub.o
-lboost_unit_test_framework

I have done export CXX=g++-3.3

I'm on Debian testing, which is currently transitioning to G++ 4.0.
4.0 is my default compiler.  Since I recently reran autoconf and
configure, I think they are setup for it.

The boost libraries, on the other hand, were built with 3.3, and link to
a different version of libstdc++ (5.0 vs 6.0).  This only matters for
build targets that include the unit test framework (since it has binary
libraries as well as headers).  However, I get the same errors reported
above when building a target that doesn't use
-lboost_unit_test_framework.

Before I set CXX I was able to get some things to work.

Narrowly, can anyone shed any light on the errors reported at the top?
In particular, what do I need to reconfigure to make them go away?  Do I
need to rerun autoconf? configure? something else?

More broadly, if you have any advice about dealing with this situation,
I would appreciate it.  I am trying to develop a package that will build
in a variety of environments, and so may want to switch compilers and
libraries even after things settle down.

I could pull a newer version of boost in, but that would also "upgrade"
G++ 4 to a version with release-critical bugs.  I'm not particularly
eager to do so, even though the newer version if built with G++ 4.0.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               address@hidden