Re: libtoolize docs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtoolize docs
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:58:32 +0100

Hi Ross,

* Ross Boylan wrote on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:44:03PM CET:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 09:02 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Mike Frysinger wrote on Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:07:16PM CET:
> > >
> > > nope ... it does have its own subsection in the libtool info files though
> >
> > Right.  And
> >   info libtoolize
> > should get you right to the correct section of those info files.  If it
> > doesn't, please state installed Libtool version, its $prefix, $INFOPATH,
> > and whether there exists an updated `dir' file in $prefix/share/info,
> > alongside with libtool.info.
> >
> info libtoolize gets me the man page, which says it was written
> specifically for Debian.  This is almost identical to the page on
> libtoolize in the libtool info pages.
> libtool                             1.5.20-2
>
> libtool --config doesn't give me $prefix or $INFOPATH.

Ah, sorry, I was being too short-worded.
If `which libtoolize` is /usr/bin/libtoolize, then $prefix is /usr.
On the other hand, INFOPATH is an environment variable that changes
the behavior of the 'info' program.  You can tell it where to look
for info pages, much as with manpages and MANPATH.

> I do have
> /usr/share/info/libtool.info.gz.  However, it is not part of the libtool
> package, and I suspect I put it there myself.

libtool-doc maybe?

> I suspect things are reasonable, given the production of local
> documentation on Debian and the fact that Debian tends not to ship info
> files because of licensing issues.

Yes, I only now (on Debian) noted this myself.  You can still get it
with
  info libtool 'Invoking libtoolize'

By the way, apologies for not having incorporated your months-old
documentation patches yet.  I really plan to tackle some outstanding
doc patches when we've managed to do the 2.0 alpha release..