Re: PIE support

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: PIE support
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:43:03 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Because: when one day 100 compilers support this, they may use 10 different #defines for this notion. Or not, who knows.

Sure. Then you should possibly also define __PIC__ for completeness / symmetry? (relying on gcc to provide that at present right?)

Yes, but most packages using libtool won't ever need to compile a PIC object without libtool's help. Unlike PIE, when you do CFLAGS=-fpie. Which in turn is what we're trying to settle on, currently. (Well, I am at least ;)

;)

Sure. As long as you stick with GCC and GNU ld, there won't be any issues. If libtool were to specialize on those two only, it'd be fair to say there is little point in having a thing such as libtool at all.

:)

Well, the more interesting question would probably be the GNU ld version
you used, and on what hardware.

x86. GNU ld 2.9.1 and also 2.15. Thing is, I'm not sure gcc actually used GNU ld. If I do:

LD=gld gcc ....

The binary works.

If I manually compile to object code with gcc and then link by hand with gld, it segfaults:

$ gcc -c -fpie -pie -Os test.c -o test.o -lc -lnsl -lsocket
$ gld -fpie  -lc -lnsl -lsocket -o test test.o

It segfaults if I use Solaris ld by hand too, so I must be doing something wrong.

In no case, where I let gcc handle linking, do I get anything that is obviously a relocatable executable though. (variables in main are at same location on each invocation).

I could not find such discussion (I searched before reporting the bug
upstream).  Could you point me to it?  Thanks.

I can't I'm afraid. It came up when talking to the user who desperately wanted an easier way to build our project's daemons as PIE, I can't find the URL back though. :(

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      address@hidden  address@hidden  Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: