Re: PIE support

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: PIE support
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:19:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

I think not. First of all, underscore'd symbols are forbidden country for non-implementation-tools like libtool. Second, don't ever use the same symbol for two different meanings, one being, that GCC tells you this is -fpic, the other being what libtool thinks about it.

Oops, yes, of course. :)

Try 'gcc -v' in all cases to see what's happening. Try 'gld --verbose' and 'gcc -v -Wl,--verbose' to see what the linker thinks.

Hmm, ok. It's using the solaris linker. How do I get gcc to use a different linker? (I've already looked in the gcc docs, i dont see how, LD=... doesnt work it seems).

Erm. Stupid question: how can you recognize this way for certain, whether this is PIE or not? I only know of 'file a.out' reporting a shared object.

Good question. I've been using file. Testing on Linux, the most immediately obvious difference between PIE and normal executables is that the PIE exe has an ELF type of "DYN", also 'main' is registered as symbol in the symbol table.

Bummer.  Thanks for searching, though.

No worries.

regards,
--