Re: Solaris 10: 64-bit convienience libraries won't build 64-bit shared

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Solaris 10: 64-bit convienience libraries won't build 64-bit shared object
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:45:57 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Edward Maros wrote:

I appears as if libtool reverts back to 32-bit when doing convenience libraries. I am trying to build under Solaris 10 and have several convenience libraries that I am putting together to make a shared library for distribution. When it is trying to make the final shared library, it is putting in the 32-bit objects from gcc instead of the 64-bit ones.

Libtool should be applying the options you specified on the command line. For example, if you specified -m64 while compiling, it should apply -m64 while building all objects. So no 32-bit objects should exist in the build tree. Where are the 32-bit objects coming from?

I have not been having any 64-bit problems specifically due to libtool, but I must admit to using a development version of libtool for quite some time.

One thing that can bite is if a .la file for a 32-bit library is picked up my mistake, then the associated 32-bit library may be applied. This is usually a problem with user-specified library search paths, although some versions of libtool have been known to re-order library search paths, causing dire problems.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn