[RFC] simple sanity checking libtool versions at runtime

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: [RFC] simple sanity checking libtool versions at runtime
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:30:45 +0000

since Gentoo is a from-source distribution, we do a lot of compiling ...
as such, our maintainers often have to fix bugs in autotool source files
in misc packages (bugs in say configure.ac, not bugs in autoconf).  thus
it is not uncommon that we re-run portions of autotools so that we dont
have huge patches against generated files (like configure or
Makefile.in).

since autotools can be a bit on the confusing side for people who are
not familiar with them, we hit many cases of package maintainers
regenerating some autotool files, but not all of them.  so we would
hit cases where the libtool code in configure was from a diff version
of libtool than the ltmain.sh file.  the end result was that we would
see weird packing issues were say shared libraries were being created
without a '.so' extension.

our solution was to patch libtool in Gentoo with a sanity check where
configure would grep the version written in the ltmain.sh file and if
it did not match the version in configure, the process bail out with
a fun error message.

find attached said patch written by Martin Schlemmer and myself (well,
mostly Martin ;D) against cvs.
-mike