Re: [RFC] simple sanity checking libtool versions at runtime

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [RFC] simple sanity checking libtool versions at runtime
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:11:57 +0000

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:43:42PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger wrote on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:30:45PM CET:
> > our solution was to patch libtool in Gentoo with a sanity check where
> > configure would grep the version written in the ltmain.sh file and if
> > it did not match the version in configure, the process bail out with
> > a fun error message.
>
> Hmm.  In CVS HEAD we have such a sanity check already, in ltmain's
> func_check_version_match.  But it bails out only at the time libtool is
> run, not during configure.

all we're after is for the build to fail with a helpful message if the
versions are out of sync ... whether it be while running configure or
running libtool from make, that's in material ... it sounds to me like
the current CVS HEAD version will not allow a `make` to finish if the
code used in configure mismatches that in ltmain.sh, so all my
requirements have been nicely met ... nothing like having a good idea
only to find out someone else had it long before you ;)

> It's more precise than yours: it checks for package_revision as well.

even better :)

> > find attached said patch written by Martin Schlemmer and myself (well,
> > mostly Martin ;D) against cvs.
>
> Hmm.  I'm uncertain.  There may be a point in erroring out at configure
> time already.  Even nicer would be an error at m4 (autoconf) time
> already.  I don't believe this is possible though (not sure though).

nah, this is fine ... not much point in duplicating functionality

> Note a couple of minor nits with your patch below.

thanks, we'll integrate these into our current patch we use for 1.5.x
-mike