Fwd: Automake problem: one makefile for everything

From: Chapter33
Subject: Fwd: Automake problem: one makefile for everything
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:28:57 EST

Hi,

Not sure if my problem below is better addressed to the libtool mailing list.  Can anyone assist?

Many thanks,
Mark.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Automake problem: one makefile for everything Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:16:07 EST

Hi,

I hope you can help me.  I'm banging my
head against the wall here doing something that I think should be
extremely simple, but just cannot get Automake/Autoconf/libtool to do
it the way I want it.

If I have the following files:

main1.c
main2.c
modules/mod1.c
modules/mod2.c

and I want a Makefile.am in the top-level source directory that
compiles main1.c and main2.c into one library (say libmain.la) and
mod1.c and mod2.c into libmod.la in the modules directory.  Simple
request huh?  But in *one* Makefile.am.  How do I do it?

This doesn't do the job:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libmain.la modules/libmod.la
libmain_la_SOURCES = main1.c main2.c
libmod_la_SOURCES = modules/mod1.c modules/mod2.c

libtool doesn't like directory names in the lib_LTLIBRARIES variable.
But if I go ...

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libmain.la libmod.la

...then everything gets built in the top-level directory and I don't
want that.

Can anyone help?  My only work-around at present is to have a separate
Makefile in the modules sub-directory, but that won't work anymore
because I'm building a binary in the top-level Makefile that depends on
both earlier libraries, while libmod also depends on libmain, i.e.

binary -> depends on modules/libmod.la and libmain.la
modules/libmod.la -> depends on libmain.la

If I use separate Makefiles, I'm going to need three to get around the
dependencies and to get the build order right, and that's going to get
ugly.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Mark.