Re: [RFC] simple sanity checking libtool versions at runtime

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [RFC] simple sanity checking libtool versions at runtime
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:40:10 +0100

Hi Thorsten,

* Thorsten Glaser wrote on Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:34:19PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues dixit:
>
> >Also please not the ' don't match up (and libtool uses the ` ' weird
> >looking quotes, as other non-localized GNU software does).
>
> When is this going to change? In ASCII, you use '...', in Unicode,
> you use U+2018 and U+2019 which look like latin1 `...´ but have
> different semantics (the ` and ´ marks, U+0060 and U+00B4 are
> accent signs and used for composing e.g. `a -> à).

I know.

To tell you the truth, a few months ago I started a patch changing ` to
$lq and ' to $rq.  Which would at least decrease the size of the patch
for somebody who wants to change it.

Then I decided it simply wasn't worth my time.  I mean, there are people
rightly complaining about _real_ bugs in Libtool.

So, unless the other developers disagree, I'd probably accept a patch
(against HEAD only) doing just that.  But I clearly disagree with
localizing libtool completely unless someone can point out a way to do
it without incurring _any_ overhead (time & space) for those who don't
want to use it (not even speaking about the enormous effort necessary
for translating the documentation).