Re: libtool-2.0 release

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool-2.0 release
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:04:59 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

It means that LT_WITH_LTDL in configure.ac that mentions neither
LTDL_CONVENIENCE nor LTDL_INSTALLABLE doesn't build libltdl at all.
I have a start to a fix for this.

Well, so is that really a bug?  AFAIK the 1.5 docs require you to use
AC_LIB_LTDL, _not_ AC_WITH_LTDL (that exists but isn't even mentioned in
the docs), and AFAICS AC_LIB_LTDL *will* cause libltdl to be built: see
the second old-am-iface.at test, which explicitly does this.  The
updated form of AC_LIB_LTDL is LTDL_INIT, not LT_WITH_LTDL.  However,
our current CVS HEAD documentation fails to even mention LTDL_INIT.  I
wonder whether this is maybe a bug in documentation only?

I have not checked the latest documentation, but as I mentioned before, the documentation for the legacy libtool configuration macros should be added back to the documentation along with a note to the extent that they are deprecated and are subject to eventual removal. The fact that these older macros still work is vital to the acceptance of libtool 2.0.

Well, this comment of Bob completely mystifies me:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.patches/6582
I believe in that thread there were more issues mentioned.

I am intentionally using GNU sed 3.02. It is possible that the mystery is related to sed versions.

There was one other one, and from memory, I believe it goes like this:
suppose we have a package with libltdl.  If the user does
 --without-included-ltdl
then I believe `-Ilibltdl' and such paths get still added to includes,
which is wrong.

I don't remember from memory whether that was for subpackage libltdl,
or for nonrecursive, or for recursive.  Sorry.

The problem is when generating the Makefile.inc used for the nonrecursive libltdl build.

ACK.  I think we can be justifiably proud of the huge improvements we've
brought to the new testsuite in the last 18 months.

:)  I think with about 10-20 times as much test exposure we can have
almost well-defined semantics in libtool.

In my experience, if something has not been explicitly tested, it is likely to be broken. So the improved test suite reflects actual improvements in libtool 2.0 itself.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn