Re: Linking Static Libraries Directly Into Static Libtool Libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Linking Static Libraries Directly Into Static Libtool Libraries
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:08:07 +0100

Hi Eric,

* Eric Lemings wrote on Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:57:07PM CET:

> How do I configure and run the libtool script so that when it
> is creating a static library that it links or embeds any
> dependent static libraries directly into the newly created
> static library?

Current libtool does not allow you to embed static libraries directly
into other static libraries, at least not portably.  One reason it does
not do this is that when you later combine these, and you have one
static library as predecessor more than once, you may end up with
duplicated symbols.  With the libtool method of storing the dependencies
in the .la file and only resolving them upon program creation this is
avoided.

However, you may be able to achieve the effect you desire by the use of
static convenience archives instead: these will be combined into the
newly created library.

The differentiation between static libraries and static convenience
archives allows libtool to operate on these similarly to how it would
operate on their shared counterparts.