Re: static lib containing backends

From: Peter Ekberg
Subject: Re: static lib containing backends
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:15:11 +0100

Hi!

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 05:08:59PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 05:02:37PM CET:
> > On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > >
> > >It's not really libltdl that needs changes for MSVC.  The libtool script
> > >itself does (more precisely: the ltmain.sh file from which it is
> > >created).
> >
> > Are you sure about that?  Are all libltdl symbols properly DLL
> > exported?
>
> Last time I tested Peter's patch (see an earlier post of mine in this
> thread), it worked.  Yes, it's been quite a while.  No, I don't remember
> all the gory details.

I am not relying on libltdl for my projects, so the only testing
I've done regarding libltdl are those in the test suite. As far
as I remember there is some trouble with dllexport/import that
is a bit hairy. I think the user of libltdl has to know how
libltdl is going to be linked with the user code, in order for
the user code to add dllimport (or not). I.e. there is no
way to write a libltdl header that will always do the right thing
(without user help), since it is not known at compile time how the
user will link with libltdl. (hmm, on reading through the message
I'm not satisfied with this wording. oh well)

> Did I just hear you volunteer for testing?  ;-)

I think I remember Ralf saying something about a list of tests that
are needed in order for the patch to be commitable. Is this something
I can do, or is a second opinion required/desireable here? Ralf,
can you please provide that list?

I have kept quiet (and haven't worked on the patch either for that
matter) in order to not destabilize the pending release, but there's
been lots of water under the bridges...

I believe the patch does not touch any non-win32 stuff and things
still work for MinGW and Cygwin as far as I can tell. The only
possible trouble is that the cccl support might be broken by the
patch (but I don't know if cccl in fact works at the moment).

Cheers,
Peter