Re: exclusive static or shared

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: exclusive static or shared
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:47:38 +0100

Hi Christopher,

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:28:59PM CET:
> On 2/15/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Here's a set of rules.
> >
> I guess I didn't make it clear enough that ALL the subdirectories were
> under the same configure script and doesn't make logical sense to
> split them.

Oh, you made that clear.  You are not the only reader of this mailing
list, though, and I thought it to be appropriate to give a general
answer that is useful for more than one specific purpose.

> > Assuming a package that uses Automake, the developer can control this on
> > a per-library basis by putting
> >   -static

> I had shared libraries enables and static disabled from configure.  In
> passing -static to the 1  library I wanted to be static, it created
> the library, but without any object files in it.  i.e. it was an empty
> library and thus resulted in missing symbols later.

Ahh!  Now this may be a bug, I believe.  I cannot reproduce this in a
test, though.  Can you show me how to reproduce it?  Which Libtool
version?  How did you configure exactly?  On what $host?  config.log?

> and have created a patch for the PGI wl="" and -link -dll problem I
> was receiving.  When I get to work I will test these and submit them
> to the libtool-patches list.

Well, some of the issues arise from the first MSVC patches: a couple of
times there was the assumption that on win32, non-gcc compiler meant
MSVC.  You'd need to undo that.  And then go and set the flags in
_LT_COMPILER_PIC correctly (for both CXX and other tags).  And then you
can check all the other PORTME instances in libtool.m4 to see whether
they need adaptation, too.  ;-)