Re: Setting environment variable in libtool wrapper?

From: Geoffrey Hutchison
Subject: Re: Setting environment variable in libtool wrapper?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:07:57 -0500

Hi,

This may sound like a strange request, but for my project, libtool is used to generate the shared libs and binaries using automake. We also generate a series of plugins as shared modules (with -module). We have our own dlopen routines, so we don't use libltdl.

In particular, our loader routines will check an environment variable for a list of directories to search. This enables us to easily load the modules from the build directory.

What I'd really like to do is to set this environment variable inside the libtool wrapper generated for each binary. The default value can easily be determined at ./configure time.

Any suggestions? The documentation wasn't too helpful, and I did think about possible autoconf/automake tricks. But automake doesn't let you easily insert an "export ${VAR}" into a target AFAICT, and I'd rather do it at build/execution time rather than configure-time.

Thanks very much in advance,
-Geoff