FYI: spamcop listing

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: FYI: spamcop listing
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:01:28 +0100

Spamcop has listed the gnu.org mailing list server.  Several members of
at least one of the Libtool lists have had their subscription disabled
because their mail servers reject based on spamcop alone.

This sucks majorly, as it prevents communication with people.  Some of
the users that got their subscription disabled have recently taken part
in discussion and will necessarily miss some messages directed at them
now; sending to them off-list is of no help, some addresses seem to
accept list email only.

When the server is delisted again, I will wait a bit more, then enable
manually all subscriptions that got disabled this way, and send this
message again, so it has a better chance to reach them.

For over a half year now, the Libtool lists implement first-post
moderation, and the number of spam that got through has dropped to
almost zero since then.  The moderation is a nonzero amount of extra
work that goes away from Libtool development.

I expect in return that users get their mail servers to NOT REJECT BASED
SOLELY ON SPAMCOP.  If they cannot achieve that (because of corporate
rules, whatever), then please simply don't subscribe with such an email
address, or subscribe but turn off delivery.

It would also be good to look at the other gnu.org lists they are
subscribed to: if any are open and send nontrivial amounts of spam,
please notify the respective list owner to do something about this,
for example first-post moderation.

I won't repeat this procedure the next time this happens.