Re: Build shared library with shared libraries and static libraries on H

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: Build shared library with shared libraries and static libraries on HP-UX
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:20:47 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Build shared library with shared libraries and static...:

Hello,

I would like compile a shared library of PHP for loading it into apache on
the HP-UX os.

The problem is that i cannot because :

        - one of the different libraries used by php for
          compiling is c-client (imap) who is only
          available as a static library.

        - and libtool doesn't accept mixed static and shared library
          the final result in this case is always a static library.
          This situation occured on HP-UX but not on Linux.

My question are :

        - Why it's not possible to mix libraries on HP-UX ?

I haven't had access to HP-UX for a couple years, but used it extensively
in the past.  In my experience, it *is* possible.  The static library must
contain all position independent code (PIC), though.  Libtool likely
prevents it because there's no easy way to guarantee that requirement with
static libraries.

        - Is there a way to resolve this situation ?

Manually build c-client as a shared library, or build c-client so that
all object files are compiled as PIC and then hack libtool so that the
checks for static libraries are skipped.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden