overriding libdir?

From: Tyler MacDonald
Subject: overriding libdir?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:28:52 -0700

I'm trying to get automake/libtool to allow me to install a library into
PHP's extension directory. This directory isn't in the same prefix as the
library directory my application's libraries will end up in, and is
determined by running "php-config --extension-dir"

I've tried overriding "libdir" in the Makefile.am in the php extension's
subdirectory, but that doesn't seem to do the trick; when I run "make
install", libtool balks at me with:

libtool: install: error: cannot install `php_mod_bt.la' to a directory not
ending in /usr/local/lib
make[1]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/faraway/dev/mod_bt/src/apache2/php_mod_bt'
make: *** [install-am] Error 2

Any ideas? I've attached the offending Makefile.am...

        Thanks,
                Tyler