Re: overriding libdir?

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: overriding libdir?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:46:30 +0000 (UTC)

On 2006-04-13, Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Olly Betts:
>| phpextdir = `$(PHP_CONFIG) --extension-dir`
>| phpext_LTLIBRARIES = php_mod_bt.la
>
> Unless `php-config --extension-dir` returns something like
> $(prefix)/foo/bar, this setup will prevent non-root
> installations and cause distcheck to fail.
>
> See the "Hard-Coded Install Paths" of the Automake FAQ for
> inspiration.

I figure the common case is people are installing as root and so want
the module installed where PHP expects.  So requiring them to specify
"--prefix=<the same prefix PHP was configured with>" will just create
support load on the project mailing list.

I can't just set the default prefix to `php-config --prefix` in
configure.ac because the package can build modules for Python, Tcl, etc
which could all have been built for different prefixes.

People wanting a non-root install, can easily override the default
location with:

make phpextdir=$HOME/my_php_modules

They'll also need to do extra work to get PHP to find the modules.

It's a shame that "make distcheck" doesn't work, but something I can
live with (I hadn't actually noticed until you pointed it out!)

Cheers,
    Olly