Re: why do we even want shared libraries anyway>

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: why do we even want shared libraries anyway>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:16:12 +0200

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 13:01 -0600, Ed Hartnett wrote:
> Howdy all!

Hi Ed,

> Why do we want shared libraries anyway?

Whether you want them, or not, depends on what you're doing. ;)

If you're talking about the typical scientific desktop app: because they
help save resources like memory, disk space, and allow separate
components to be administrated separately, so that security and
configuration issues can be dealt with centrally, for example.

cheers,
dalibor topic