Re: Libtool 1.5.22 (almost) ported to SkyOS

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Libtool 1.5.22 (almost) ported to SkyOS
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:13:16 +0200

Hi Robert,

* Robert Szeleney wrote on Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:05:22PM CEST:

> Finally it looks like that libtool is working.

Great.

> Is it possible that a lot of packages which actually don't have undefined
> symbols in the resulting shared library don't set this flag at all?
> One of these packages is glib, for instance. Once I added the
> -no-undefined to makefile.am, it built correctly. So I guess this is
> something I should bug the glib people instead?

Well.  The story with -no-undefined is long and twisted, here's a
partial summary (from what I gathered):
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/18727

Adding -no-undefined by the user at package build time is usually not
hard (by 'make LDFLAGS=-no-undefined' or similar), but removing it in
case issues arise is a bit more work.

But yes, if the package builds well with -no-undefined everywhere,
there's no reason not to add it.  (I should probably update my
recommendation in above article to have it added for $host_os matching
cygwin*, mingw*, and skyos*).