hardcode_libdir, rpath and DLLs

From: Robert Szeleney
Subject: hardcode_libdir, rpath and DLLs
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:44:58 +0200

Hi!

If I understand the libtool concept correctly, libtool passes -rpath to the linker when building an executable which depends on a not yet installed library.
For instance, when building glib, glib-2.0.0.dll is built at first. When building glib-genmarshal, libtool passes -Wl,--rpath,/path_to_not_yet_installed_glib-2.0.0 to ld.

Unfortunately, PE DLLs don't support this --rpath option. Is there any way to tell libtool to use something different for this?

Probably using LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Though I think that this will not really work, because whenever you execute glib-genmarshal one would have to set this path. (Inside the make process this may not be really a problem, but when executing directly from the shell no one has set this path yet).

How does cygwin deal with this? Does this even work on cygwin?

Thanks,
Robert!