Re: noinst_bindir

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: noinst_bindir
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:11:41 +0200

Hi Bob, Russ,

* Russ Allbery wrote on Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 05:34:53AM CEST:
> Bob Rossi <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > noinst_bin_PROGRAMS = gdbmi_driver
> > noinst_bindir = $(top_builddir)/progs
>
> Try using $(abs_top_builddir) instead.  I've always had bad luck with
> relative paths and anything that involves libtool.

Libtool explicitly forbis relative paths because, portably, you can't
put libraries in paths other than the ones specified, and can't move
them around.  Luckily those systems are less used today.
(I know you know this, Russ; in fact, I'm citing (you?) here)

Hmm.  Maybe libtool should be less anal about relative paths when it
comes to installing programs.

Actually, I don't know what noinst_bin_PROGRAMS is supposed to mean.
noinst means it should not be installed; bin means it should be
installed in $(bindir).  The fact that Automake outputs an install rule
for this and doesn't die complaining looks awfully like an Automake bug
to me.  Or maybe it's just that the prefix rules have the priority the
other way round (match longest prefix first), gotta go and check.

Do you actually want 'make install' to copy into the build tree, a
binary linked against the installed libraries?