Re: dependency_libs?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dependency_libs?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 19:06:17 +0200

* Andreas Volz wrote on Wed, May 03, 2006 at 03:23:40PM CEST:
> Am Wed, 3 May 2006 10:31:31 +0200 schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
>
> > To be able to confirm or deny anything here, we would need much more
> > information.  configure log, build log, contents of all .la files
>
> Ok, at first I show the cross build of freeglut. Here is the packages
> configured and build: (log files and .la files included)

Thanks.  The first point where the X11 libraries come into play even
when --without-x is given is in src/Makefile.am, where they are added
unconditionally to address@hidden@_la_LIBADD.

I'm not an expert with freeglut, and which libraries it needs in which
situation; you might want to ask the maintainer of the package to
conditionalize this appropriately.  (Automake conditionals are one
convenient way to achieve this.)

> http://brachttal.net/tmp/freeglut/conf_xmingw.sh

which is this:

PATH="/opt/xmingw/bin/:/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/bin/:$PATH"
CC=i386-mingw32msvc-gcc
CFLAGS=
LDFLAGS=-L/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/include
CPP=i386-mingw32msvc-cpp
CXX=i386-mingw32msvc-g++
CXXFLAGS=
CXXCPP=i386-mingw32msvc-cpp

export PATH CC CFLAGS LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS CPP CXX CXXFLAGS CXXCPP
./configure --host=i386-mingw32msvc \
            --target=i386-mingw32msvc \
            "$@"

With package using non-ancient autotools, it should be possible to
reduce this to

PATH=/opt/xmingw/bin:/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/bin:$PATH
export PATH
./configure --host=i386-mingw32msvc \
    LDFLAGS=-L/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/lib \
    CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/include \
    "$@"

(except now configure will set CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS; so set them if you
don't want that).

> I tried also the parameter --enable-shared=no because I build the
> static library only, but this doesn't change anything.

Yes, that's because of the reason stated above.

> It seems the mingw environment doesn't provide much .la files. Are this
> files on Windows not as usefull as on Linux or UNIX?

No.  They are intended to be useful on all systems that Libtool
supports.  Some distributors choose not to ship them; often though,
the respective libraries just aren't built with libtool.

> If you need more information or I forgot to provide any files, than
> say it.

This wasn't the library you intended to build, but a dependent one.
There may be more issues ahead in the other one (and further
dependencies).