Re: dependency_libs?

From: Andreas Volz
Subject: Re: dependency_libs?
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:36:13 +0200

Am Wed, 3 May 2006 19:06:17 +0200 schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:

> > Ok, at first I show the cross build of freeglut. Here is the
> > packages configured and build: (log files and .la files included)
>
> Thanks.  The first point where the X11 libraries come into play even
> when --without-x is given is in src/Makefile.am, where they are added
> unconditionally to address@hidden@_la_LIBADD.

Where should I add them? To _LDADD or _LDFLAGS? I've not complete
understand this. It "simply worked" in the past for all my apps.

> I'm not an expert with freeglut, and which libraries it needs in which
> situation; you might want to ask the maintainer of the package to
> conditionalize this appropriately.  (Automake conditionals are one
> convenient way to achieve this.)

My freeglut cross compiler package is only an experiment so far. I
should install ist as libglut32 or as libfreeglut. And I've some
problems with libwinmm and libgdi32, but this isn't the problem here...

> > http://brachttal.net/tmp/freeglut/conf_xmingw.sh
> With package using non-ancient autotools, it should be possible to
> reduce this to
>
> PATH=/opt/xmingw/bin:/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/bin:$PATH
> export PATH
> ./configure --host=i386-mingw32msvc \
>     LDFLAGS=-L/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/lib \
>     CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/include \
>     "$@"

Thanks, this works. For what reason do I need the --target switch?

> > It seems the mingw environment doesn't provide much .la files. Are
> > this files on Windows not as usefull as on Linux or UNIX?
>
> No.  They are intended to be useful on all systems that Libtool
> supports.  Some distributors choose not to ship them; often though,
> the respective libraries just aren't built with libtool.

Perhaps there's also a very special problem with the win32 platform.
The la files contain often absolute paths. But at mingw installation
time I could choose where to install it. So all la files needs to be
rewritten while installing. I've the same bugging problem with
providing pkg-config pc files for my binaries. This is nearly
impossible for win32, because everyone like to relocate the files :-(

> > If you need more information or I forgot to provide any files, than
> > say it.
>
> This wasn't the library you intended to build, but a dependent one.
> There may be more issues ahead in the other one (and further
> dependencies).

Yes, it was another package. I showed this fist, because there're more
dependencies and I thought freeglut is the root of all problems. So
here is my second problem:

http://brachttal.net/tmp/libtool-test/mhgui-try1.tar.bz2

The check for glut (freeglut) is a little curious, because of the
unsolved libwinmm and libgdi32 problem. But I think this isn't the
problem. As you could see the dependency_libs contain the useless -lX*
and -lG* stuff.

The libpng library (also the la file) contains no dependency to X or
GLUT. Also the same with libanimorph. If I delete the libglut.la file
the libmhgui.la is like expected and contains no -lX* and -lG*.

Is the problem perhaps how I used _LDADD, _LDFLAGS and _LIBADD?

If still some files are missing, simply say it. Thanks much for helping
me!

regards
Andreas