Re: Problems to understand win32 linking

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems to understand win32 linking
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:20:27 +0200

Hi Andreas,

* Andreas Volz wrote on Sun, May 14, 2006 at 10:14:48PM CEST:

> all libraries are static:
>
> libgdi32.a
> libwinmm.a
> libopengl32.a
> libglut.a (temporary; should really be named libglut32.a for win32)
> libglu32.a
>
> No other so-files or la-files are available for this libraries.
>
> The system is Gentoo Linux and package versions are:
>
> xmingw-w32api-3.1
> xmingw-runtime-3.5
> xmingw-gcc-3.4.2
> xmingw-binutils-2.15.90.0.2
>
> But some newer packages are in the ~x86 (unstable) tree. Should I test
> some packages from this tree?

Maybe you should try that.  But first check whether this is an ABI issue:

| >&5
/opt/xmingw/i386-mingw32msvc/lib/libglut.a(libglut_la-freeglut_main.o)(.text+0x40e):freeglut_main.c:
 undefined reference to address@hidden'

Does the symbol timeGetTime or _timeGetTime exist, but address@hidden
does not?  Then you are using differing calling conventions, I believe.
Now I don't really know why your libglut gets built using stdcall
conventions.  It may well have to do with libtool, but I guess the
reason is somewhere else.  Probably someone with more knowledge about
the cross compiler package you're using can help out here.