Re: Avoiding to install some static libs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Avoiding to install some static libs
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:36:41 +0200

Hi Pierre,

* Pierre Ossman wrote on Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:06:36PM CEST:

> I'd like to avoid installing some of the static libs built, but I can't
> figure out how.
>
> I have a package that contains both "normal" libraries, for which I'd
> like both dynamic and static to be installed, and some modules. I'd like
> to kill off the static versions of the modules as they serve no purpose.
>
> I tried adding --tag=disable-static when doing libtool --mode=install,
> but that didn't help. Any other ideas?

Well, yes, --tag=disable-static helps only at link time.

> I'd like to keep building the libs, as they might be used for
> preloading. But if there is a way to disable building them (figuring out
> how to get automake to give libtool the --tag probably)

Put it in AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS -- works per-directory, or
modulename_LIBTOOLFLAGS -- works per module.

> but not a way to disable installing them, then that is possible
> solution, although not preferable.

If you want both built, but only shared installed, one way is to build
them twice, say, in different directories, once with and once without
--tag=disable-shared.  For the ones that you don't want installed,
you'll need to make them noinst_LTLIBRARIES, and add -rpath $libdir
manually to *LDFLAGS, additionally to -module.

Hope that helps.