Re: inherited_flags.at failure on HP-UX 10.20

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: inherited_flags.at failure on HP-UX 10.20
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:53:06 +0200

Hi Albert,

* Albert Chin wrote on Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:40:21AM CEST:
> HP-UX 10.20 uses ld rather than cc to create shared libraries. Because
> of this, inherited_linker_flags in a *.la file is not added to the
> link line.

Which of those flags are important for HP-UX 10.20 ld?

Good catch BTW!

> $inherited_linker_flags is added to $compiler_flags but
> $compiler_flags is used only when cc is used to create a shared
> library. From libtool.m4:

> So, should we modify the code in ltmain.sh to add
> $inherited_linker_flags to $linker_flags:

> Looking at what is added to $new_inherited_linker_flags in ltmain.sh,
> this looks safe.

Yes, but that is fragile.  At least, it would need a comment that
whatever is added to new_inherited_linker_flags should also be
understood by the linker iff $LD is used to link.

Then, do we need to pass any of those flags to $LD while doing partial
linking (reload_cmds)?  Probably not, but I'm not sure.

It'd be good to have a test for this; the use of $LD in archive_cmds
will likely provoke other failures; putting all of them in a test may
help us preserve libtool functioning on HP-UX 10.20.  (I can try to
write one once we've settled on the rest.)