Re: MSVC Support

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: MSVC Support
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:37:33 +0200

Hi Brendon,

* Brendon Costa wrote on Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:29:10AM CEST:

>       I have been looking on the web and in the libtool manual for any
> information about support for using libtool with MSVC but have found
> very little. There have been a few posts to the libtool patch list,
> but I cant find anything substantial saying libtool works with the
> MSVC compiler. Is the MSVC compiler currently supported (Either ver 7
> or 8) and if so are there any examples of using libtool with MSVC
> (That do not make use of automake)

There is a pending patch by Peter Ekberg for decent MSVC support in
Libtool.  I think this is the latest version of it:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2005-11/msg00190.html

It still needs a bit of work, for several reasons, one of them is to get
the patch in a form that does not cause regressions on other systems or
with other compilers.

>       I am not sure if this information will be helpful or not, but in
> order to make compiling with MSVC a bit more simple (I have this
> project going without libtool) I have created some wrappers similar to
> the one found at cccl.sourceforge.net that wrap the MSVC tool chain
> and make them look like g++, ld, ar and ranlib. If this is at all
> helpful later I will be happy to contribute them.

Surely that is very helpful.  Is there a reason you're not contributing
them to cccl though?  I'm asking because: if we end up with several of
such wrappers being used widely, Libtool may have to end up supporting
several, possibly slightly incompatible, "versions" of MSVC, differing
by wrapper only.  This would make it even harder for us to keep things
in a working state.

If OTOH your wrappers are good enough to wrap all libtool-needed
functionality in a way such that it looks like GCC, well, then Libtool
may just work out of the box with it.  :-)
But that would be a lot of work to put in such a wrapper, seriously.