Re: with_gcc using PGI compilers windows

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: with_gcc using PGI compilers windows
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:11:17 +0200

Hello Christopher,

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:59:17PM CEST:
> On 6/13/06, Christopher Hulbert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >Also, I had sent a patch in a while ago about making DLL's with the
> >PGI compilers (-Mmakedll flag) that I guess never made it in.  I
> >remember having problems running the tests.  I guess at some point
> >I'll try to rerun that to get that fixed.
>
> Ignore that.  I was picking up the older libtool m4 macros.  The newer
> ones do indeed use -Mmakedll. PGI compilers with autotools are looking
> promising despite the lib renaming.

CVS Libtool (both HEAD and branch-1-5) does not contain support for
PGI/w32, and your patch has not been applied.  Consequently, the flag
-Mmakedll is not used anywhere in libtool.

I intend to consider looking out for potential regressions for PGI/w32
when I get to MSVC support, and it'd be nice to add support for PGI/w32
sometime after that.  Both of these are a ways away (for me), though,
and adding PGI/w32 support is not easy without a way to test it.

In another mail, you wrote:
> As a side, I posted to the libtool mailing list about some more PGI
> conflicts I'm having.  It's not necessarily a libtool bug since it
> assumes msvc support if not using the gcc compiler.  It seems to work
> if I manually set the with_gcc=yes in the libtool script.  Can I pass
> that on the AM_LDFLAGS variable?

No.  I guess you could
  ./configure ac_cv_c_compiler_gnu=yes ac_cv_cxx_compiler_gnu=yes

as a hackish workaround, though.