Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:20:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Tim Mooney wrote:

This seems like it should be an obvious question, but I'm not finding any
obvious answers in either the libtool or autoconf documentation.

Is there a libtool-aware equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?  In other words, if I
want to check for foo_amazing_func() in libfoo, and libfoo was built with
libtool (and the libfoo.la is hopefully installed on the system), is there
an extant macro something like LT_CHECK_LIB(foo,foo_amazing_func) that
will try find foo_amazing_func() in libfoo *and* will pull in all the
necessary dependencies for libfoo, automatically?

I don't believe there is. Autoconf can not depend on libtool, so Autoconf should not provide such a macro, but it certainly makes sense for libtool to provide a LT_CHECK_LIB as you describe. A challenge is that in libtool 2.0, the libtool script is not generated until the end of the configure script run (an `enhancement' in 2.0) so it is not available for use. The macro would need to emulate the operation of libtool since libtool is not available yet.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn