Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:42:31 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?, Ralf Wildenhues said...:

* Tim Mooney wrote on Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:17:03PM CEST:
So to address this, libtool would need to

- know how the platform behaves regarding shared library dependencies
- in the case of static libraries, continue doing what it's already doing
- for shared libraries on platforms where the linker follows library
  dependencies
        - when creating a shared library, make sure that it's dependent
          libraries are recorded (however that's done for a particular
          platform, probably just linking) by the library when it's created.
        - when linking against a shared library of this type, detect which
          libraries are recorded as dependant for the shared library and
          leave those out of the list of dependency_libs for the shared
          library.

Is that about it?

No.  It's much more complicated.

That's what I was afraid of.  Even the steps I outlined were complex, but
I figured someone would have solved it if it was "that easy".

Thanks for clarifying.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden