Re: Shared library depending on a convenience library

From: Bjarne Vestergaard
Subject: Re: Shared library depending on a convenience library
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:50:21 +0200

Hi Ralf,

Hate to admit it, but this is really embarrassing. I started to create the
info you requested, e.g., the libtool --features (host: i586-pc-linux-gnu,
enable shared libraries, enable static libraries), then went on to
investigate my log files once more to see if I could elaborate a bit more on
my example. I then realized that I had gone down a completely wrong path: I
guess the libtool documentation I referenced confused me a bit + I failed to
see a few really clear lines in the logs that should have made me realize
that libtool was in fact working as it should. Embarrassing.

The actual problem was a (non-libtool) archive of non-PIC code being linked
into a couple of the shared libraries. The package I'm building has
dependencies to already installed libraries and one of these libraries was by
mistake only installed as an archive of non-PIC code (due to me not reading
the fine print in the makefile for that library good enough). I guess this
just shows that it makes compilation of packages somewhat more difficult if
each package is trying to rely on its own makefile setup instead of using the
GNU Autotools, which offer an almost uniform interface to its users across
packages.

Sorry for wasting your time. (However, I'm still curious about the wording of
the libtool documentation that I referenced).

Best regards,
Bjarne Vestergaard