Re: mac os x framework linking target

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: mac os x framework linking target
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:10:47 +0900

On Jul 29, 2006, at 5:48 AM, Daniel Rogers wrote:

I'm interested in developing a "framework" building feature for libtool.
Linking the shared library for a framework is exactly the same as
linking a typical shared library.  It's already quite close.  The
differences are described below, but they are summed up as, I need to be
able to create a shared library artifact that doesn't start with lib,
and the shared library needs to be placed into a particular folder
hierarchy, so those parameters would probably have to be passed to
libtool as well (in particular $(FRAMEWORK_VERSION) can't be guessed,
and probably the source of Info.plist would also need to be passed).

It is far easier to do this with custom automake rules for your project than with libtool. Just generate the shared library as normal with libtool and at install time make the framework directory hierarchy and do any renaming necessary.

Also, you seem to be looking at libtool-1.5.x which is not where any new feature would be implemented, you should probably check out the libtool sources from cvs if you want to hack on them, however, I really don't think it a good idea.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://www.pogma.com