Re: How to use --whole-archive ld arg with libtool?

From: Reid Spencer
Subject: Re: How to use --whole-archive ld arg with libtool?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:22:02 -0700

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the quick response.  Some follow-up questions:

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 02:25 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Reid,
>
> Yes.  Generic position-dependent linker flags are not implemented at
> this point.

Okay :)

>   If you control lib1 and lib2 though (i.e., they are built
> as part of your package, or as part of a dependent package you are the
> author of), you could make them convenience archives, to achieve the
> same effect.

They are under my control, but it seems (from the documentation) that
convenience archives aren't exactly what I want.  If I understand it
correctly, convenience archives are simply archives with dependent
library information attached. That's fine, but I'm not sure the
resulting program will get "whole-archive" behavior. That is, I want
every object from both lib1.a and lib2.a linked into the program
(statically).  Are you telling me that when I link a program with
libtool and one of the libraries linked with is a convenience library
that all objects in that library will be linked into the program?

Thanks,

Reid.