Re: Splitting dependency_libs in *.la?

From: Rex Dieter
Subject: Re: Splitting dependency_libs in *.la?
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 08:16:47 -0500

Albert Chin wrote:

> And, even for .pc files, it doesn't mean you get _only_ the libraries
> you need. What if someone has "Requires: -lpng -lz" in a .pc file?
> Then you have a dependency on libpng and libz, which is unnecessary as
> libpng already depends on libz.

If the "Requires" is legit, who cares if it is redundant?  If it's not truly
redundant, then it's a bug (in libpng) that needs to be fixed.

> I don't see how libtool can intelligently decide the minimum set of
> libraries needed to satisfy the link.

pkgconfig has both
Libs =
Libs.private =
The latter being for private and/or static linking.  libtool needs something
similar to pkgconfig's Libs.private.

This, coupled with setting link_all_deplibs=no in the non-static case (ie,
see the debian patch referenced earlier in this thread), should pretty much
do the trick, afaict.

-- Rex