Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:31:05 +0200

* Taj Morton wrote on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:59:31AM CEST:

> I'm trying to *not* build libraries that link to both libstdc++s.

But you will end up with such brokenness anyway.
Let me try to rephrase Mike's concern as I understand it:

libkdecore was created with some libstdc++ as dependency.
Let's say that was 'libstdc++.X'.

Now you build libfoo which is a C++ library that links against
some libstdc++.Y and against that previously installed libkdecore,
where we assume Y is not equal to X (and where right now, for the
sake of the argument, X and Y are simply describing API version;
so that libstdc++.Y is not compatible with libstdc++.X).

Now, while your libfoo may not be explicitly linked against version Y
(i.e., 'objdump -p libfoo' shows only one libstdc++ as NEEDED), any
program using your libfoo and the installed libkdecore will cause both
versions of libstdc++ to be needed (see 'ldd program' output) because
libkdecore will pull in libstdc++.y.  And this can cause pain you don't
want to suffer.

Hope that helps.